Pathology involves the study of the essential nature of diseases, especially the structural and functional changes produced by them in the body. It delineates the changes occurring within the body during illness, and the effects of the diseases on the organs and organ systems. This knowledge forms the basis for clinical diagnosis.
The department effectively caters to the needs of students by providing insights into the causation of disease. It also provides clinical laboratory services to patients visiting the hospital.
- To train students to examine tissues and body fluids to diagnose a disease.
- To provide prompt and accurate diagnosis.
The Department of Pathology at SGMCÂ is headed by Dr.Sheela Vasudevan with more than 30Â years of teaching experience. Apart from her, the Department has 3Â more Professors, 2Â Associate Professors, 5Â Assistant Professors and 6Â Tutors. –more–
- Demonstration rooms with AV aids
- Research laboratory
- Â Departmental library
- Â Departmental museum
- Fully functional 24×7 Blood Bank with blood component separation facility
- Haematology laboratory
- Histopathology laboratory
- Cytology laboratory
- Hematology services
- Cytology services
- Histopathology services
- Transfusion medicine
- Frozen section
- Fetal autopsy