Pharmacology deals with medicines and their actions in human body. It is an integral part of undergraduate curriculum. Knowledge about medicines enables future doctors to prescribe rationally. Our department aims to train undergraduate students in various aspects of drug use and adverse drug reaction monitoring. We also train post graduate students in teaching and encourage them to undertake research projects.
Faculty: The department of Pharmacology at SGMC & RF is headed by Dr. Vijayalekshmi Amma S. Faculty includes one more professor, one associate professor, three assistant professors and 3 tutors in the department. ..more..
3rd, 4th & 5th semester M.B.B.S. students
B. Sc. Nursing students
Diploma theatre technology (DoTT) students
Postgraduate: MD Pharmacology (2 seats/year) from 2012 onwards, 2 seats recognized from 2015 onwards.
- Two demonstration rooms with over head projectors
- Practical Laboratories
- Experimental pharmacology laboratory
- Clinical pharmacology cum pharmacy laboratory
- Research laboratory for PG students
- Clinical Pharmacology laboratory for PG students
- Museum- with specimens, charts & models in pharmacology
- Departmental library-cum-seminar room
- CPCSEA approved Animal House
- Recognized ADR monitoring centre (AMC) under PvPI since 2016
Conferences attended ..view..
Papers presented at Conferences
- Dr. Nirmal George presented the results of the study Drug Utilization and Rational Prescription in Pediatric Inpatients of Sree Gokulam Medical College & Research Foundation at National Conference cum Workshop on Advances in Clinical Research held at MES Medical College, Perinthalmanna, Malappuram, Kerala on 9,10th August 2014.
- Dr. Nirmal George presented the results of the study Attitude and Self-Medication Practice among Second Year Medical Students in a Tertiary Care Medical College in South Kerala at the National Conference cum Workshop on Advances in Clinical Research held at MES Medical College, Perinthalmanna, Malappuram, Kerala in on 9,10th August 2014.
- Dr. Nirmal George presented the results of the study comparison of metformin versus its combinations in glycemic control with cost effectiveness analysis at the National symposium on Medicine Safety – MEDSAFE 2015 held at Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research centre, Thiruvalla, Kerala.
- Dr. Vinu Wison presented the results of a clinical trial of Terminalia arjunain chronic heart failure done at AIIMS, New Delhi at the 12th Annual Conference of International Society for Heart Research (ISHR) (Indian Section) held on March 14-15, 2015 at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
Publications : View publications
Details of articles submitted for publication:
- Title: Evaluation of drug use in Type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients in a tertiary care hospital in Pondicherry; Authors: Messaline Sunitha, Somasundaram, Mohammed Hanifa; Journal: Indian Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism. Submitted on October 2015.
Completed research projects:
- “Hypolipidemic efficacy of atorvastatin and vitamin-D versus atorvastatin alone: an observational study” by Dr. Abhima M. B. (SGMC IEC approval no. 09/84/11/2013).
- “Evaluation of analgesic effect of curcumin in experimental model of hyperalgesia in mice” by Dr. Vinu Wilson (IAEC approval no. SGMCR/IAEC/M1/2015/1).
Ongoing research projects:
- “Comparison of effectiveness and safety of Amitriptyline, Duloxetine and Pregabalin in Painful Diabetic Neuropathy- An Observational Study” by Dr. Suji V. S. (SGMC IEC approval no. 15/132/12/2014).
- “Comparison of effectiveness and safety of topiramate versus propranolol in prophylaxis of migraine – an observational study” by Dr. Saranya J Byju (SGMC-IEC No :19/181/12/2015).
- “Effectiveness and safety of metformin dapagliflozin, metformin sitagliptin, metformin vildagliptin combinations versus metformin monotherapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients – An observational study” by Dr Nirmal George (SGMC IEC No: 19/17/12/2015/F)
- “Effectiveness and safety of metformin- teneligliptin combination versus metformin monotherapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients” by Dr Nirmal George (SGMC IEC No: 20/208/01/2016/F).
- “Evaluation of eyelash growth induced by topical prostaglandin analogue latanoprost in rabbits” by Dr Messaline Sunitha (IAEC No: SGMCRF/IAEC/R2).