The Department runs clinical services in the field of Adult Clinical Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Psychosomatic Disorders, Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Substance Abuse Disorders, Old age Behavior Disorders, Psychological Disorders of Women and Marital and Family Mental Health. It provides integrated clinical care with medical treatment and psychosocial management of these disorders. It imparts training in clinical psychiatry, mental health, communication and Doctor-Patient Relationships. Research projects are being evolved and ongoing in these areas. Community Mental Health programmes catering the students, children and youth, women and vulnerable sections of society are being contemplated.
- To provide accessible and affordable mental health care.
- To provide leadership in the provision of quality mental health, academic and clinical teaching.
- To collaborate with like-minded governmental and non-governmental organizations involved in mental health care delivery and build a network of professionals.
The Department of Psychiatry at SGMC is headed by Dr.N.Subha, Professor of Psychiatry, who has more than 30 years of undergraduate and post graduate medical teaching experience and also is a research guide and examiner. In addition, the department has the services of one more Professor, 2 Senior Resident and 3 Junior Residents. –more_
- Psychological Tests equipment : Personality assessment tests, Neuropsychological tests, Projective Tests.
- Departmental library
- Demonstration Room
- Charts and Posters on Public Awareness of Mental Health Problems.
- Detailed evaluation,treatment and followup for all Psychiatric Disorders
- SPECIALITY CLINICS :
- Geriatric Clinic – on all Mondays
- Neuropsychiatry Clinic – on all Tuesdays. Evaluation and management of behavioural symptoms in
- Neurodegenerative disorders,Cerebrovascular disorders,Traumatic Brain Injury,Organic Brain Syndromes.
- De-Addiction Clinic – on all Wednesdays.
- Suicide Prevention Clinic – on all Thursdays. Detailed evaluation, management and preventive services.
- Psychomotor Clinic – on all Fridays.
- Child and Adolescent Clinic – on all Saturdays.Detailed evaluation of behavioural symptoms,treatment
- and followup for all child and adolescent psychiatric disorders. Assessment and management of scholastic difficulties.
- Qualified Clinical Psychologist offering services in Marital therapy, Stress and Anxiety Management, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy,Psychotherapy,Neuropsychological assessment, Student guidance and counseling.