DEPARTMENT OF GENERAL MEDICINE
Internal medicine or general medicine is the medical specialty dealing with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of adult diseases. Physicians are skilled in the management of patients who have undifferentiated or multi-system disease processes.General Medicine is considered to be the foundation for several specialties, sub-specialties and super specialties. The department focuses on providing preventive, curative and rehabilitative measures. Evidence-based protocols in patient care and teaching are in place.
- To impart quality teaching and training to medical students in the specialty of general medicine.
- To improve the overall health of the people by providing comprehensive curative services for all acute and chronic illnesses affecting adults.
- To provide rational therapy for all patients with utmost care and dedication .
The Department is headed by Dr. S. Bhasi who is the unit cheif of M1 unit and other units headed by Dr. C.Jayakumar, Dr. K.K. Manojan , Dr. Elizabeth Jacob and Dr.Jojo Joseph Antony . We have a total of 6 professors , 6 assocaiate professors ,6 assistant professors ,8 senior residents and 13 junior residents working for the welfare of the patient.
- A Dialysis Unit
- Fully functional Medical and Neuro ICU with cardiac monitoring
- Ventilator facility in all ICUs
- ECHO, Cath Lab, CCU ,TMT
- Well-equipped student teaching/demonstration rooms
- Departmental Library
- Research laboratory
- In house X-ray ,ultra sound scan, CT scan and MRI
- Fully equipped lab with auto analyzer.
- Outpatient services (unit wise)
- Inpatient services
- 24 hour critical care casualty
- Management of chronic disease involving multi-systems failure
- Other specialty services in
- Infectious diseases
The OPD is provided with 7 examination cubicles, one teaching room and one injection room in addition to waiting and reception areas.
IP section :
The department of general medicine has 150 teaching beds consisting of male and female general wards and additional paywards in the 5 th floor and 3 rd floor and ICUs .Each ward has a attached teaching demonstration room for the clinical classes.Other facilities in each ward being the pantry , Nursing Station,nurses duty room , Resident doctors room , Treatment room , Storage room for linen .
The medicine department consists of the department demonstration room where morning clinical classes for students starts at 8:30 AM, followed by OP and bedside demonstration of cases .The demo room is also equipped with LCD with montior and OH projector needed for symposiums.We also have daily programs for the postgraduates in the form of symposiums, journal club , clinical club , general clinics . The department also has various publication in various journals. Our post graduates are encouraged to present in national conferences and also have bagged prizes for the same .Other facilities available in the department are the department Museum , Research labs , HOD room and other faculty rooms, Depatmental office .(total of 16 rooms ) .